Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Urge Fighter

Saw this L.S.U. college paper article pop up via Google News today - Fighting the Urge - News and was encouraged to see another Trichster dude in the news. It makes me feel like we're on the verge of a re-analysis of the prevalence of male TTM. I've thought for a long tine there were a lot more of men who had Trich out there, but weren't diagnosed and/or used other means to mask the symptoms. And I hope as more men come forward, others will be encourage to also step forward and seek help.

I'm going to the Natl. Trich Conference partly because they're offering a men's forum which should be very interesting. I'm curious who will be part of it and the conversation will go. I know for myself while much of my experience as a trichster is shared by women, there are differences in how it plays out in my own sense of male identity, my ability to be show vulnerable parts of myself and in my relationships.

As more men as diagnosed with trich, I think the re could be a benefit to the entire trich community. Too often women's medical problems are marginalized and not given the level of attention that male medical problems are given. With more men going the ranks of public suffers from trich, perhaps this could help change the perception of trich from a "women's problem to a "human problem". But perhaps, even that is wishful thinking and as a T-shirt I saw on Valencia this week, it's just confirmation that "Men are the new Women" and the only hope in getting trich more out there in the public eye is the elusive celebrity puller spokesperson ;)

No comments: