Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mitra

Just about two years ago, I began a Buddhist practice at the San Francisco Buddhist Center. Since then, I've been going and meditating there just about every weekday, attending various classes and going on a couple of retreats. So this week I finally decided to become a Mitra, and acknowledge my commitment and become a bit more connected to the sangha community. It's something that I've been thinking about for a long time and not really a direct out-growth of my recent arrest. But sitting in that cell and being able to meditate a bit, made me really realize how much my Buddhist practice has become a part of my life. It's sort a big step, but it feels right and feels like the right time.

For many years Buddhism was something I interested in, and in my travels in Asia, often visited different temples and took the time to really talk with monks. I'd sort of pass as a Buddhist to explain my vegetarianism, but never really thought of myself as a Buddhist. But these past two years, having an almost daily meditation practice, I've really begun to feel able to identify myself as a Buddhist.

No comments: