Thursday, March 23, 2006

City Arts & Lectures present an evening with Spencer Wells

Last night I went with my brother and his wife to see Spencer Wells speak about his career and his research. Fascinating stuff, and I think it'll very interesting as the details on human dispersion and diversification become better understood. His Genographic project had a great write up in National Geographic a few months. Go figure, since they're funding it in part.

The other think that really impresses me about his Genographic project is how much innovative thinking has gone into it's planning. I think the idea selling genetic testing kits in the first world is absolutely brilliant. It's a great way to engage and educate while selling them a commodified product, and at the same time raising money to support the project's cultural preservation efforts. I'm curious about how it really works on the ground, so I just add his National Geographic documentary, The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey to the top of my Netflix queue

No comments: