Friday, March 31, 2006

Mitra-Man

This week was I had Mitra commitment ceremony. I wrote earlier about my decision to become a Mitra with the SFBC, and I was sort of expecting it to be a very basic ceremony, really a formality. But it actually surprised me how emotional and meaningful it was to me.


Luckily enough, Gabe and Dawn, who also meditate with me most mornings decided to also become Mitras. John who also is a morning regular also came, and I had invited my friend, Scott, who I had first suggested I give meditation a try. We went into the shrine room and there were special assigned cushions for the three of us making our commitments. I wasn't exactly sure what we were supposed to do, but Padmadarini gave a quick whispered run down, flower, candle, incense. But before any of that, we did a Meta practice. Then there was rejoicing in our merits, which was a surprise. There aren't that many opportunities in life where one gets praise for their spiritual growth and devotion, and it was a really nice feeling. It was also touching to be in the moment and really appreciate the true connections I've made in the SFBC sanga, with order members, mitras and others.


Next, one by one, me being the last, we made an offering of a flower, representing impermanence, a candle, representing the dharma, and incense, representing the permeation of the dharma and the sanga. Then we began a chant of "Om Vajrapani Hum", as other joined in make offering to the Buddha. A few hearty "SADHU!" and that was it, we were mitras.

No comments: