Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Yahoo Mail beta vs. Gmail

Aggh! Everyday it seems like Google and Yahoo are battling it out for all my "Wow, that's really cool!" For Yahoo's cool AJAX livesearch.alltheweb.com, Google strikes back with something amazing like sketchup.com. Then you have similar products like del.icio.us and google.com/notebook. But the heart of the battle for me has been web email. For years I've been a loyal users of Yahoo mail and stood by it as other systems dropped by the wayside. But a few months back, I decide to really give Gmail a try and I was hooked. I loved to idea of threaded email, plus all the pretty colors! Then Yahoo released the beta of their new Yahoo mail and was drawn back. It's certainly the most Windows-like, AJAXy web client that I've ever seen with all sorts of cool functionality, like dragging emails into folder, tabbed browsing and Right-Click options. But this week I decided to go back to Gmail, primarily because it's just simpler and quicker to work with, but also it's just easier to keep a clean Inbox with Gmail. A really basic need but it's just where I want to be right now. It's great to have the competition bringing some great Web 2.0 applications, but the decisions over which to chose are killing me!

No comments: