Monday, May 09, 2005

Now in Auckland

Yesterday was my first full day in New Zealand. Sunday was a bit of a haze, sorting out rental cars, getting settled in with my couching surfing friend, seeing a bit of West Auckland and going out to the beach. Where I'm staying is in the foothills of excellent hills. We drove up there and even the nearby park land is gorgeous. Saw my first weta in a little science museum they had there. Weta's are an insect species native to NZ. Their quite unique looking, with large legs, long antennae and a long stinger looking thing in the rear.

But back to yesterday, I made my down to the city center and wandered down to the wharf. There out in front of the maritime Museum they had KZ-1, the boat that challenged in the America's Cup back in 1988. Quite a site to see up on blocks where you could really see it's groundbreaking keel design. Then I went looking for a book store to get some Kiwi history to read. It looked like that was a common interest at least in the tourist zone cause they had plenty to choose from. I found the backpacker area but it was bit strange to see it have such a prominent place downtown, but it must be big business.

Next I went over to the Auckland Museum which was huge and quite good. It reminded me a bit of the Hong Kong museum, but with lots of war memorial stuff. I had no idea the kiwis fought in the Malaysia "emergency" and they had a special Gilipoli exhibit with lots of school children going through.

The plan now is to head out of Auckland and make down to where my friend Andy lives out side of Gisborne.

No comments: