Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Speedy Glaciers

I just got back from walking on the Fraz Joseph glacier which was awesome. It was very other worldly with the occasional CRACK of falling ice. Fraz Joseph is one of the only three glaciers that drop down into rain forest which is pretty odd, ice and tree ferns! It's very close to the coast as well and several thousand years ago dumped right out into the ocean. Supposedly it's melting and moving quite quickly, up to 1.5 m per day and the tip was like this bulldozer shovelling sand and rocks out of the way. It 's stuck in a tight U shaped valley and must be very similar to how Yosemite was carved out.

Today I was beginning to feel the pressure of the clock on my NZ holiday winding down and having to plan my final days carefully. I feel that I cut my time on the south island a bit sort and won't be able to make it down to Queenstown. But after getting off the ferry at Picton, I drove out to the Abel Tasmen, which is the northwest corner. I stayed there two nights and did a great sea kayak trip out to an island to see young fur seal pups. Really good and very few people about. I'd really like to do some more kayaking when I get back. Then I drove down the West Coast which is supposed to be very wild and rugged, but I found it very similar to past of N. California. One thing that was very unique though were these "pancake" rocks, weird eroded layers of sedimentary rocks right on the coast forming grottos and blow-holes. Quite spectacular and you could walk quite far out on them. Stayed there a night at this backpackers right on the beach that had a great ocean front hot tub. Then went down to the local pub and had an interesting conversation with a bloke that used to run a backpackers and the owner of the pub. And then today I was up early and on the road down to catch a glacier hike.

Tomorrow, I'll check out the Fox glacier and head up the Copland trail that takes you to a hut with natural hot spring. Both my friend Andy and another kiwi highly recommended so should be good. Then I'll have to head towards Christchurch to catch my flight home :(

No comments: